200 Years Ago
George Armstrong received $1.50 from Sheriff John Dodd as bounty on the head of one wolf, which he killed in Henry County.
On Aug. 11, 1811, Robert Hunter married Fanny Payne, daughter of R. B. Payne. The Marriage Bond, for 50 pounds, was co-signed by Row Thomas.
A claim for $3 was paid to Theodicous Vanosdol by Joel Jackson, Deputy Sheriff, for assisting in the search for and guarding Benjamin Yount after his capture.
175 Years Ago
The Henry County Court allowed a claim for $6 to Reuben Tankersly for repairing the cupola on the courthouse roof.
On Aug. 11, 1836, Almond Smoot and his wife Nancy sold to Robert Smith a tract of land located on the waters of Drennon Creek containing four one-hundredths of an acre for the sum of $8.43.
Preston Vories and Elizabeth Kelly, daughter of Samuel Kelly, were married on Aug. 11, 1836. Preston and James Kelly posted a marriage bond in the amount of 50 pounds on Aug. 6, 1836.
150 Years Ago
On Aug. 3, 1861, Congress approved legislation for the construction of three iron-clad naval vessels.
Mr. Samuel Bennett reported to E. P. Thomas, Clerk of Henry County, that he had “worked’ the Turkey Foot Road and it was in good traveling order.
George B. Sinclair and Mary E. Barnett were married on Aug. 15, 1861, at David Sutherland’s home. Witnesses at the wedding were William J. Bobbitt, Ophelia Thompson and James Thornton. D. N. Porter officiated at the ceremony.
On Aug. 5, 1861, Congress approved the first income tax in United States history to pay for the Civil War.
125 Years Ago
Bud Clark was granted $32 by the County Court for 16 days labor digging a well at the county poorhouse.
James Mann and Sarah M. Young were married at the home of J. H. Roberts in Henry County on Aug. 10.
In 1886 “The Central Normal School and Business College was erected on Hillspring Road in South Pleasureville. This school later became the Pleasureville Academy, a well-known and very successful educational facility.
William Bryant, Taylor Brewer and W. H. Pyles, Trustees of School District 18, purchased from Sarah C. Campbell for $200 a lot in Henry County between Old and New Campbellsburg. The lot, bounded by the lands of Emma Scott on the West and South, on the East by the lot of F. J. Yager (known as Missionary Lot), and by the Turnpike on the North, contained one acre more or less.
100 Years Ago
Hugh Clements, overseer of the Long Branch Road, submitted a claim to the County Court requesting that F. W. Cubbage be paid $21 for seven days labor on the road, with a hand and a team.
W. S. Drane and Marian C. Watkins were married in Louisville on Aug. 9, 1911.
Mrs. Ann Bourne purchased a house and lot on Main Cross Street from Mrs. Mattie E. Shand for the sum of $800 cash.