Henry County Relay For Life scheduled for June 27 and 28
Each year, across the nation, one event brings together entire communities to take part in the fight against cancer. That event is the American Cancer Society Relay For Life. It’s a time and place where people come to celebrate those who have survived cancer, remember those we’ve lost and fight back against a disease that touches too many lives.
It’s not just an opportunity to celebrate, remember, and fight back, your involvement will help the American Cancer Society work toward a mission of eliminating cancer as a major health issue and will support much needed services in the community. Thanks in part to donations from Relay For Life and other events, the Society is saving lives, helping those touched by cancer and empowering people to fight this disease all over the world.
Henry County’s Relay For Life event is scheduled from 7 p.m., June 27, to 7 a.m., June 28, at the Henry County High School Football Field/Track in New Castle. Opening ceremonies will begin at 7 p.m. including the survivor’s lap around the track and the introduction of teams. From 8 to 10 p.m. activities at different sites will begin, the camp site judging will take place and walking around the track gets underway. The Luminary Service is held at 10 p.m. for a very reverent time of honoring survivors and remembering those who have passed. Shortly after the Luminary Ceremony, more activities and walking continue through the night until 7 a.m. when closing ceremonies are conducted. This year there will be five theme laps during walking times. Theme laps are as follows: Pajamas, Crazy Hat, 70s/80s, Western Wear and “Tween” Star. There will also be a volleyball tournament beginning at 1 a.m. and this year there will be performances by local band Bluesneck. Come out and enjoy this fun filled, spectacular event!
Also, be sure to mark your calendars for the following fundraisers and events all held in an effort to raise money and awareness for the American Cancer Society:
• Pleasureville Baptist Church is selling/taking orders for “That’s My Pan” custom cake and pie pans and other items. See anyone from the team to order a couple pans for wedding gifts, birthday gifts or just because gifts.
• Henry County Scrappers are holding a raffle for a Relay purse. Tickets are $1 each or six for $5.
• Drennon Christian Church is receiving 20 percent of all Tammy Bibelhauser’s Avon sales. To purchase, contact Tammy at firstname.lastname@example.org.
• Franklinton Baptist Church has three baskets with various gift certificates to retail stores, restaurants, salons and much more! Raffle tickets are $5 for six or $1 each. They will continue to sell tickets through Relay Night.
• Henry Christian Church will draw Relay night for a hand-cross stitched, hand-made, hand-quilted breast cancer/pink ribbon throw. Tickets are $1 each or 6 for $5 and will be available Relay night!
• The Henry County Local is sponsoring a “Darling Baby” contest for ages 0 months to 12 months and a “Sweetie Pie” contest for ages 13 months to 48 months. Stop by the Henry County Local Monday through Friday 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. to cast your vote or by the Henry County Local tent night of Relay. Photos will run June 18 and 25 and voting has already begun. There will be a 25 cent minimum to vote. Winners will receive prizes! All proceeds go to the Henry County Relay For Life. Contact Tawnja Morris for more information at (502) 845-2858.
• United Citizens Bank is sponsoring a “Cutest Pet Contest”. Submit photos (photos can not be returned) to any United Citizens Bank location by June 13. The entry fee is $5 per pet. Voting will take place at the Henry County Relay For Life event on Friday, June 27 and the winner will be announced after the luminary service. You do not have to be present to win. Votes are $25 cents.
• Cooks will have a cookout with hamburgers and hot dogs and a bake sale beginning around 11 a.m. on Friday, June 20.
• Campbellsburg Baptist Church will have a rubber stamping party on Saturday, June 21 from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. Cost is $30 and you will be able to do six projects.
• New Castle United Methodist Church will have its 4th annual Cut-A-Thon at Hair Designs in New Castle on June 22. Minimum $10 donation.
• New Castle Christian Church will be have pizza night at Hometown Pizza in Eminence on Tuesday, June 24. Twenty percent of proceeds will go to Relay For Life.
Other Important Reminders
• Bank Night is Wednesday, June 25, at United Citizens Bank in New Castle from 6 to 8 p.m. Please bring all monies collected to date that night! You will also be able to pick up your team T-shirts, track maps and event programs.
• The night of Relay please keep in mind the following: No pets allowed, no smoking, no vehicles on the track, be respectful during the Luminary Ceremony and stay at your camp site, and most importantly, have a great time!