A New Castle man has been indicted by the Henry County Grand Jury on charges that he killed another man in a July argument.
The grand jury indicted Robert S. Elston, 55, of New Castle, on Aug. 14 for second degree murder, a class A felony. If convicted, Elston could face at least 20 years in prison.
Elston was charged with second-degree murder after the July 6 shooting death of Joseph D. Burch, 21, at the New Castle apartment complex where Elston lived.
According to the arrest citation, Elston fatally shot Burch on July 6 after a threatening argument at the Osage Apartment complex where Elston lived.
Burch died of a single gunshot wound to the chest. Elston allegedly used a .44-caliber handgun.
The July incident was not Elston’s first brush with the law. In July 2007, he was arrested after a confrontation with James Gilbert. According to the police citation from that incident, Elston brandished a .44-caliber handgun, with which he later shot Gilbert’s right hand.
That case was dismissed, without prejudice, after Gilbert failed to appear in court.
Elston remains lodged at the Carroll County Regional Detention Center and his bond was set at $1 million.
A court date has not yet been set.
The grand jury also handed down the following indictments:
• Barney Craigmyle, 49, address not specified. Felonies: First degree criminal attempt to commit burglary; two counts of first degree wanton endangerment; possession of a firearm by a convicted felon. first degree persistent felony offender.
• Jason Ison, 33, Campbellsburg. Felony: Distribution of matter portraying a sexual peformance by a minor.
• Mark E. Coots, 26, Pleasureville. Felonies: First degree fleeing or evading police; first degree wanton endangerment. Misdemeanor: No insurance, first offense. Violations: Failure to wear seat belt; speeding; reckless driving.
• Jason R. Stephens, 30, Pleasureville. Felonies: first degree possession of a controlled substance; second degree possession of a controlled substance. Misdemeanor: Possession of marijuana.
• Guthrie L. Ford, 62, Louisville. Felony: First degree wanton endangerment.
• James D. Monroe, 67, Mt. Eden. Felony: Second degree trafficking in a controlled substance. First degree persistent felony offender.
E-mail us about this article at email@example.com.