Each year, across the nation, one event brings together entire communities to take part in the fight against cancer. That event is the American Cancer Society Relay for Life. It’s a time and place where people come to celebrate those who have survived cancer, remember those we’ve lost and fight back against a disease that touches too many lives.
It’s not just an opportunity to celebrate, remember, and fight back, your involvement will help the American Cancer Society work toward a mission of eliminating cancer as a major health issue and will support much needed services in the community. Thanks in part to donations from Relay for Life and other events, the Society is saving lives, helping those touched by cancer and empowering people to fight this disease all over the world.
Henry County’s Relay for Life event is scheduled from 7 p.m., June 27, to 7 a.m., June 28, at the Henry County High School Football Field/Track in New Castle. Opening ceremonies will begin at 7 p.m. including the survivor’s lap around the track and the introduction of teams. From 8 to 10 p.m. activities at different sites will begin, the camp site judging will take place and walking around the track gets underway. The Luminary Service is held at 10 p.m. for a very reverent time of honoring survivors and remembering those who have passed. Shortly after the Luminary Ceremony, more activities and walking continue through the night until 7 a.m. when closing ceremonies are conducted. Come out and enjoy this fun filled, spectacular event!
Also, be sure to mark your calendars for the following fundraisers and events all held in an effort to raise money and awareness for the American Cancer Society:
• Pleasureville Baptist Church is selling/taking orders for “That’s My Pan” custom cake and pie pans and other items. See anyone from the team to order a couple pans for wedding gifts, birthday gifts or just because gifts.
• Henry County Scrappers are holding a raffle for a Relay purse. Tickets are $1 each or six for $5.
• Lexie Roberts is raffling two baskets that she has put together: one is a picnic basket and the other a gardening basket. She will have these at the Spring Fling on June 14.
• Drennon Christian Church is receiving 20 percent of all Tammy Bibelhauser’s Avon sales. To purchase, contact Tammy at email@example.com.
• PBI Bank is selling tickets for a Father’s Day Basket. Items include a $50 gift card to Chevron in Pleasureville, Free oil change from Beasley’s Garage in Pleasureville, a $60 value Clock, and misc car wash items. Tickets are $2 for 1 or $5 for 3. Drawing will be held on June 13 at the Pleasureville Branch.
• United Citizens Bank Relay for Life Team is raffling a “Tool Box” Gift Basket for Father’s Day. Tickets are $1 each or 7 for $5 and can be purchased at any Henry County location. The drawing will take place at noon, Friday, June 13.
• Franklinton Baptist Church has three baskets with various gift certificates to retail stores, restaurants, salons and much more! Raffle tickets are $6 for five or $1 each. They will continue to sell tickets through Relay Night.
• Henry Christian Church will draw Relay night for a hand-cross stitched, hand-made, hand-quilted breast cancer/pink ribbon throw. Tickets are $1 each or 6 for $5 and will be available Relay night!
• 2008 Relay for Life Poker Run will be held Saturday, June 7. Signups start at 10 a.m. at the Port Royal Baptist Church parking lot. $250 winning hand with ride beginning at 11 a.m. Free dinner with all the fixin’s after the ride. Twenty percent coupon on all accessories, parts and riding apparel at Yamaha of Carrollton for each signed up entry. Questions call (502) 947-7211. Rain date is June 8.
• The Henry County Local is sponsoring a “Darling Baby” contest for ages 0 months to 12 months and a “Sweetie Pie” contest for ages 13 months to 48 months. Stop by the Henry County Local Monday through Friday 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. to cast your vote or mail Photos will run in the Henry County Local June 11, 18 and 25 and voting will begin on June 11. There will be a 25 cent minimum to vote. Winners will receive prizes! All proceeds go to the Henry County Relay for Life. Contact Tawnja Morris for more information at (502) 845-2858.
• United Citizens Bank is sponsoring a “Cutest Pet Contest.” Submit photos (photos cannot be returned) to any United Citizens Bank location by June 13. The entry fee is $5 per pet. Voting will take place at the Henry County Relay for Life event on Friday, June 27 and the winner will be announced after the luminary service. You do not have to be present to win. Votes are 25-cents.
• The Henry County Government team will be having a cook out on the courthouse lawn on Friday, June 6 from 11 a.m. to 1 p.m. Cost will be $7 a plate.
• New Direction in Life will have a fish fry on Saturday, June 7 from 11 a.m. to 6 p.m. at the Community Center in Eminence.
• Cook’s will have pizza night at Hometown in Eminence on Wednesday, June 11 from 6 to 9 p.m. A portion of the proceeds will go to Relay For Life.
• New Castle First Baptist Church will have a booth in the church yard on Saturday, June 14 (New Castle Day) and will be selling cobblers and will have children’s games.
New Castle Christian Church will also have a booth this day and will be selling homemade aprons and goody bags for children.
• Cooks will have a cookout with hamburgers and hot dogs and a bake sale beginning around 11 a.m. on Friday, June 20.
• Campbellsburg Baptist Church will have a rubber stamping party on Saturday, June 21 from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. Cost is $30 and you will be able to do six projects.
• New Castle United Methodist Church will have its 4th annual Cut-A-Thon at Hair Designs in New Castle on June 22. Minimum $10 donation.
• New Castle Christian Church will have pizza night at Hometown Pizza in Eminence on Tuesday, June 24. Twenty percent of proceeds will go to Relay For Life.
Other Important Reminders
• Next Team Captains’ meeting will be Monday, June 16, at 7 p.m. This meeting will be held at the Pavilion at the Henry County High School Track/Football Field. This is our final meeting before Bank Night and Relay!! We will need to know what you’re doing for Relay night as well as any needs your team has.
• Bank Night is Wednesday, June 25, at United Citizens Bank in New Castle from 6 to 8 p.m. Please bring all monies collected to date that night! You will also be able to pick up your team T-shirts, track maps and event programs.
• The night of Relay please keep in mind the following: No pets allowed, no smoking, no vehicles on the track, be respectful during the Luminary Ceremony and stay at your camp site, and most importantly, have a great time!