- Special Sections
- Public Notices
Relay For Life in Henry County is quickly approaching, scheduled for Friday, June 26, at the Henry County High School Track. Relay For Life is the American Cancer Society’s signature activity. It offers everyone in a community an opportunity to participate in the fight against cancer. Teams of people camp out at a local high school, park, or fairground and take turns walking or running around a track or path. Each team is asked to have a representative on the track at all times during the event. Relays are an overnight event, up to 24 hours in length.
Relay For Life is a life-changing event that brings together more than 3.5 million people to:
• Celebrate the lives of those who have battled cancer. The strength of survivors inspires others to continue to fight.
• Remember loved ones lost to the disease. At Relay, people who have walked alongside people battling cancer can grieve and find healing.
• Fight Back. We Relay because we have been touched by cancer and desperately want to put an end to the disease.
For further information on the event, please visit RelayForLife.org. Below is a list of upcoming activities that are taking place throughout the county in an ongoing effort to raise money and awareness for the American Cancer Society (all proceeds will benefit Henry County Relay For Life):
• Friday, May 22 — Campbellsburg Chiropractic will have a pork chop dinner from 11 a.m. to 2 p.m. in the Chiropractic parking lot/sidewalk area. Dinner will include two sides and dessert for $6. Call ahead for carryout orders at (502) 532-0099.
• Saturday, May 23 — The second annual Henry County Spring Tractor Drive will be held with registration beginning at 10:30 a.m. Cost will be $15 per tractor and the approximate 22-mile drive will begin at 1:30 p.m. Unload tractors at Henry County fairgrounds, travel through Franklinton, continue through Bethlehem and Pleasureville and returning to the fairgrounds. For more information including requirements contact William Potts at (502) 220-0431.
• Monday, May 25- Barb’s Buds will be receiving all proceeds from the bread pudding sold at Scriber’s Restaurant in Eminence.
• Thursday, May 28 -The Henry County Scrappers will host a Pampered Chef Show featuring Cancer Awareness products at 6:30 p.m. at the 4H Building at the fairgrounds. RSVP to Diana Berry (502) 667-0044; Jacklyn White at (502) 641-4638; Harriett Devore at (502) 845-7545 or Olivia Dills at (502) 845-6465.
• Friday, May 29- Registration deadline for the Henry County Local’s Darling Baby (0-12 months) and Sweetie Pie (13 to 48 months) contests will be on this date. Entry fee will be $5 and votes will be a minimum of 25 cents per vote. All proceeds will go towards the Henry County Local’s Relay For Life team. View entries in the Local and begin voting June 10, 17 and 24. For more information contact Tawnja at (502) 845-2858.
• Friday, June 5 — Cooks will have a barbecue at the Eminence location with proceeds benefiting the Relay For Life team.
• Saturday, June 6 — Henry Christian Church will have a yard sale with proceeds going to their Relay For Life team.
• Sunday, June 7 — Franklinton Baptist Church will be having a pork barbecue dinner after church with proceeds going to Relay For Life. For more information contact Tara Peyton at email@example.com.
• Tuesday, June 9- Hussey Copper’s Relay For Life team will have “Hometown Pizza Night” from 5 to 9 p.m. with a portion of sales going to their Relay team.
• Saturday, June 13- Hussey Copper’s Relay For Life team will hold “Scrappin For a Cure” from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. at the Henry County 4H center. Cost includes 4x4 workspace, food and drinks! For more information contact Connie Singleton at (502) 845-5664, ext 2638 or Sandi Hayden at (502) 220-0391.
Also that evening, Hussey’s team will hold Bunco at the 4H building from 6 to 9 p.m. For more information contact Connie or Sandi at the numbers listed.
Henry Christian Church will be having a yard sale to benefit their Relay team.
• Sunday, June 14- United Methodist Church will have a Cut-A-Thon at Hair Designs in New Castle from 1 to 5 p.m. with snacks. Haircuts will be $10 with proceeds benefiting their Relay For Life Team.
Other ongoing activities
• Hawkins Family Team is selling handmade earrings, pink ribbon bracelets, candy, coffee, Moutain Dew and apple dumplings the night of Relay.
• PBI Bank’s Relay For Life team will be selling new and used children’s books the night of Relay. Anyone wishing to donate books please contact Tami Payton at (502) 878-4214. They are also selling candy bars in the lobby of the banks.
• Homestead Nursing Center will sell funnel cakes and hot chocolate night of Relay and will also have a Vera Bradley Auction basket.
• Henry County Scrappers will be selling “donation” tickets for two pink license plate birdhouses made by Jim Chaney from Marion, KY for $1 each or 6 for $5; selling “donation” tickets or a 21 speed Dr. Pepper bicycle with helmet and selling pre-made scrapbook pages ready for your favorite Relay picture. Auction items are a breast cancer purse handmade by Debbie Miller and a unique throw handmade by Joann Ashby
• Barb’s Buds will sell flip flops and t-shirts for cancer awareness. For more information contact Amy Jameson at (502) 845-8600. They also will have cinnamon rolls for sale night of Relay.
• Eminence Baptist Church is raffling a $100 Wal-Mart card. For information contact Dana Rose at firstname.lastname@example.org. They will also be selling ice cream Relay night.
• Pleasureville Baptist Church is selling personalized pans again this year. Please call Linda Payton at (502) 878-5907 for more information.
• The New Castle Fire Department is also selling 100% aluminum reflective 911 address signs. They are green reflective with one to five numbers possible. They will be $15 each. Additionally they will be selling food relay night, tenderloine, hamburgers, etc…