Think your tractor's sexy?
Then show it off Saturday at the inaugural 22-mile tractor ride, to benefit the American Cancer Society's Relay for Life. The event will start at the county fairgrounds and snake through Franklinton, Bethlehem and Pleasureville, before returning to the starting site.
"We're trying to stay out of the major traffic," organizer William "Junie" Potts said. "I don't think we're going to stall traffic very much."
A shiny New International will lead the pack, but anyone with a tractor is welcome to join the informal parade.
Tractors could travel around 12 mph, so "don't get in a hurry," Potts warned motorists.
"A lot of people are really proud of their tractor," Potts said. "I thought we'd do something close to home... and it gives money to a good cause."
Tractor operators will break for refreshments at Eastern Elementary.
If you go
WHAT: Henry County Spring Tractor Drive
WHEN: Saturday, starting at 1 p.m.
WHERE: Starts at the county fairgrounds
COST: Registration is $15 and begins at 10 a.m.
Proceeds benefit the Henry County Relay for LIfe.
For more information call 502-220-0431.
More Relay for Life Briefs
• Also on April 12 a Relay For Life Corn Hole Tournament will be held at Harry Hill Park, 2nd Pavillion beginning at 11 a.m. Sponsored by "Family Thang" Relay Team. Cost is $20 per team and registration deadline is April 10. Chili lunch/supper and raffle opportunities. Contact Suzanne Banta at (502) 845-7244, Melissa Perkinson at (502) 220-1837 or Jennifer Eldridge at (502) 220-1121.
• The New Castle United Methodist Church will hold its 3rd annual Relay For Life Gospel Sing at 6 p.m. at the church Sunday, April 13.
• Homestead Nursing Center will have a yard sale on Friday, April 18 beginning at 8 a.m. in our parking lot. Spaces are available for rent for $10 (must provide own table). To reserve a spot or for any questions, contact Denise or Stephanie at (502) 845-2861. Spot reservations due by Thursday, April 7.
• A three on three basketball tournament will be held on Saturday, April 19 beginning at 10 a.m. at the Morgan Community Center in Bedford. Tournament is for ages 10 and up and a maximum of 3 players per team. Male and female tournaments will be held and there is a $30 registration fee per team. There will also be a half court shot competition and an Around the World 3 point Competition. Entry fee for half court competition is $5 and for Around the World is $10. All proceeds go to Henry County Relay For Life. Tournament is sponsored by Tri-County Fellowship's Relay For Life Team and registration forms can be picked up by contacting Tara Hawkins at (502) 255-4974 or by e-mail at email@example.com.
• Relay Day at Harry Hill Park will be held on Saturday, May 17. Car show, motorcycle show, corn hole tournament, food and much more. Booth rental is $15 per booth. Final date to sign up is May 5. Anyone interested in having a booth for their team please contact Tara Hawkins at (502) 255-4974 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
• Also on this day there will be a Poker Run sponsored by the Henry County Scrappers Relay For Life team. Sign-ups will be from 11 a.m. to noon at Hometown Pizza in Eminence. $10 single rider; $5 passenger. All vehicles welcome, no alcohol. Free t-shirt to the first 20 sign-ups, door prizes, 50/50 tickets $1 each or 6 for $5, $5 plate lunch and music by Shades of Grass at Harry Hill Park from 3 to 5 p.m. For more information contact: Diana Berry (502) 667-0044; Jacklyn White (502) 641-4638; Olivia Dills (502) 845-6465; or Harriet Devore (502) 845-7545.
• The Henry County Local will sponsor a "Darling Baby" contest for ages 0 months to 12 months and a "Sweetie Pie" contest for ages 13 months to 48 months. Registration will be from May 19 to May 30 and will cost $5 per entry. Stop by the Henry County Local Monday through Friday 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. during the above mentioned dates to enter, or mail entry form and photo to Cutest Baby Contest, P.O. Box 209, New Castle, KY 40050. Photos will run in the Henry County Local June 11, 18 and 25 and voting will begin on June 11. There will be a 25 cent minimum to vote. Winners will receive prizes! All proceeds go to the Henry County Relay For Life. Contact Tawnja Morris for more information at (502) 845-2858.
• Henry County Scrappers Relay For Life team will host a Pampered Chef Show on Thursday, May 29 beginning at 6:30 p.m. at the 4-H building at the Henry County fairgrounds. As May is Pampered Chef's Cancer Awareness month, the catalog will feature special cancer awareness products. Please RSVP to the following numbers or call to place your catalog order: Diana Berry (502) 667-0044, Jacklyn White (502) 641-4638; Olivia Dills (502)845-6465; or Harriet Devore (502) 845-7545.