1913: Vote establishes ‘Graded Common School

-A A +A
By Hammer Smith

200 Years Ago

The County Court ordered that William Jones, Deputy Sheriff, be paid $50 as part of his allowance as jailer.  The payment was to be paid out of the 1811 tax collection.

Rudy Hendrix, Daniel Warble and Peter Kinder reported that they had been to view a possible route for building a road from Fore(e)’s Ferry on the Ohio River to New Castle.  They reported that a road cannot be built because of “a very steep hill” on the planned route.  

175 Years Ago

On Jan. 15, 1838, Joseph Beetam, living about six miles from New Castle on the Drennon Lick Road, reported to Thomas Brown, Justice of the Peace, that he had taken up one dark brindled bull that is supposed to be about two years old next spring.  The bull is marked as follows: a swallow fork in the left ear and a crop of the right ear.  The bull was appraised at $3.50 by Joseph Elston.

The County Court purchased a large double stove with stove pipe for use in the jail.  The purchase was made from Thomas Brown and Son at a cost of $30.

On Jan. 1, 1838, Horatio Middleton emancipated his negro man (slave), known by the name of King Johnston, about 50 years old, dark complexion and about five feet ten inches in height.  By this action he set free from himself, his heirs, his assigns and from all persons whatsoever.  Before Middleton could free his slave he had to post a $300 bond with the County Court.  If by freeing his slave the Court does not have to pay any money for his upkeep the bond becomes void. 

150 Years Ago

On Jan. 11, 1888, Dr. G. W. Lawrence, of Gestville, purchased from Johann Welz and P. J. Herb, heirs of John B. Welz, a tract of land in Gestville containing 2.5 acres for $150. This is the same parcel as was conveyed on June 11, 1864 to John B. Welz by Charles Wolff, a Trustee of the German American Colonization Society.

125 Years Ago

In 1888 Governor S. B. Buckner appointed the following Henry Countians to their respective offices: C. W. Alexander, Notary Public; S. O. Boulware, Notary Public; John L. Hill, Justice of the Peace - Pleasureville; John W. Matthews, Notary Public; James H. Patterson, Police Judge – Eminence; W. C. Powers, Notary Public; R. P. Samuels, Police Judge – New Castle; Frank E. Smith, Notary Public; and W. P. Thorne, Notary Public.

100 Years Ago

On Jan. 23, 1913, the Fremd Grocery Company of Eminence present a claim for $4.04 to the County Court for school books that were purchased for indigent children in the county.  Books purchased and individual prices are as follows: Principal of Geography — 40¢; 2 - Elementary Arithmetic — 50¢; 2 Spellers — 24¢; 2 Geography            — $1.20, Fourth Reader — 35¢, Fifth Reader — 45¢, Language — 25¢, History — 40¢, and English — 25¢.

An election for the establishment of a (colored) Graded Common School District (B) was declared legal by the County Court at its Jan. 18, 1913, meeting.  The vote, which was approved 120 to 0, permitted the Trustees of the School “to levy and collect an annual tax not to exceed 50¢ on each $100 evaluation of the property of colored persons and of corporations resident of the school district and also a poll tax of $1 on each colored male inhabitant of the district over 21 years of age, all for the purpose of establishing and maintaining a colored Graded Common School, as provided by law.”  The elected Trustees of the School were: Albert Martin, James Rucker, J. F. Drane, John Reed and Thomas Clark.